Monday, January 3, 2011

Let the games begin...scheduling!

Alright, the new year has begun and my mind is already bombarded with ideas, upcoming contests, new books and the such.  Therefore, I sat down yesterday and began working out a plan to make it all happen within a very short 365 days.  Because contests are typically posted well in advance, I was able to overlap yet-to-be created works for contest with my upcoming books.  I had learned, over the holiday break, that setting a schedule is a must in order to succeed in the writing world and that 8-10 pages a day, on a book, is a fairly acceptable practice.  My first contest ends Jan. 01 and is a collection of poems, 48 pages worth, which doesn't seem like much since I have already saved up 20 pages of unused material over the last year.  So, I figure I need at least 1 poem a day and will work to gain 4-6 pages a day on my book.  Once January passes, my focus will alter based on need. 

Why am I telling you all of this?  Well, I'm not sure.  However, it helps me to clarify things in my mind when I write them down and what better place to write them than here, for my readers.  My hope is that it may help you to also realize the importance of writing down your schedule so that you have a foundation to work from.  If you are not used to planning, which I am not, take it from those who have been in the business for a long time...make a schedule!  Sure, you can alter it as needed but at least you will have an idea of what needs to get done and by when.  It adds a bit of motivation also.  Either way, or whatever works for you, I hope you find out how to make the most of your new year.  Besides, it may also give you something to write, if your struggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jaymes Ian Woode's Relationship feed