Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Unexpected!

For the past three days I have been working hard at rewriting my novel from two and a half years ago.  At first, I didn't want to do it and actually had stuffed it away in a bag just so I wouldn't see it sitting there, beckoning for my attention.  I knew that editing would be a daunting task but I also knew it needed a thorough rewrite and I wasn't sure that I was ready to give it that much time and energy.  However, once I started I knew I wouldn't be able to stop.  I'm not sure how others approach their work but I become quite obsessed with my work and it consumes me completely until finished.  When I'm on a writing project, it is all I can think about, day and night.  I neglect other things like meeting with friends for dinner or participating in costume contests for Halloween, thought I enjoy them both.  I cannot escape the grip of the project because I know that it's not complete.  In order to escape I must, like Medusa's snakey head, hide it away being sure not to look at it in fear of turning in a stone figure at my desk.

Thankfully, I am really enjoying the rewrite on my novel.  I had forgotten much of it so it was almost like reading it for the first time.  I am amazed at how much I have developed my writing skills over the years and how lively I can turn a scene into.  Yes, it is consuming me but I'm enjoying it so I don't feel neglectful or overwhelmed.  And, no, I haven't turned into stone either.  I have answered two phone calls out of twenty-three over the last three days!  I'll have to eventually listen to my messages but for now, they can wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jaymes Ian Woode's Relationship feed